The Venue is the new seminar room of the headquarter of the European Southern Observatory in Garching, Germany. The ESO headquarter is hosted by the IPP campus of the Garching Research Center (Garching Forschungzentrum).
How to reach Garching
The town of Garching lies about 13 km north-east of Munich.
For an interactive overview of the Munich area with the location
of Garching and of ESO, please take a look at the Google map.
If you arrive by plane
The Munich FJS Airport lies approx. 17 km north-east of Garching. The easiest way to get to Garching from the Airport is by taxi. The fare is about EUR 40 and takes roughly 15 – 20 minutes.
Alternatively, if you wish to use Public Transport, you can take the train (S-Bahn S8) from the Airport to Ismaning (20 min.; EUR 6) and from there either a taxi (EUR 12-15) or Bus 230 (first bus at 06:11 and then every 20 or 40 minutes until 18:52 on weekdays). On working days (Monday - Friday) Bus 230 goes to Garching, Forschungszentrum with a stop in Garching. There is a hourly taxi service from Ismaning to Garching on Saturdays and Sundays. For detailed information please consult the Bus 230 time table.
If you take the Bus 230 from Ismaning, the stops for the hotels in Garching are:
- For Guesthouse ParkResidence: Bus stop Wasserturmstrasse.
- For Hotel Am Park: Bus stop Garching Maibaum . The hotel is next to the REWE supermarket.
- For HotelKönig Ludwig II: Bus stop Garching Maibaum; cross over the main street and go left. After the bakery you enter the pedestrian area (fountain!); the sign of the hotel is now visible behind the underground station.
- For Hotel HoyackerHof: Bus stop Garching Maibaum ; continue approx. 100m on the Freisinger Landstrasse direction north (Forschungsinstitute); the hotel is to your left.
- For Hotel Garni Maria's Inn: Go right and take the U-Bahn exit Maibaum. Then take Bus 230 direction Garching, Forschungszentrum and exit the bus at the first stop (Lehrer-Stieglitz-Strasse) ; cross over the main street at the traffic light, continue approx. 50m on the Lehrer-Stieglitz-Strasse and turn right into the Neufahrner Strasse, where you will find the hotel on your left. Note that this bus service is only available Monday to Friday.
- For Hotel Coro Garni : Bus stop Garching Maibaum, then cross the road and take Bus 290 with destination Garching-Hochbrück. Get off at stop Keltenweg. The hotel is across the road, about 50m in the direction from which you have come. A time table for Bus 290 is available.
If you arrive by rail
The easiest way from the Main Railway Station is to take a taxi to your hotel in Garching (the fare is approximately EUR 40).
Alternatively, if you wish to use Public Transport (single fare: around EUR 4), take the S-Bahn (underground railway) from the Main Railway Station to Marienplatz and then the U-Bahn U6 to Garching, Forschungszentrum. The U6 stops in Garching centre as the Bus stop Garching Maibaum.
If you come by car
There is a system of motorways (Autobahn) and ring-roads in and around Munich. For details see the schematic map. Follow these to the Autobahn for Nürnberg (A9). To reach Garching there are two turnoffs (Ausfahrt): Garching-Süd (Garching-South) and Garching Nord (Garching North). Both exists lead you directly into the town of Garching.
The Garching Hotels used by ESO and the Excellence Cluster range from 70 EUR to 100 EUR per overnight stay. For best price terms please indicate when booking that you are attending an ESO/ Universe Excellence Cluster conference.
On short notice and during special periods prices might be higher.Thus we advice you to contact the hotels mentioned above in due time.
Instructions for travelling to the workshop venue.
We advise all participants to travel to the workshop venue with the underground train (U-Bahn), line U6. The U-Bahn stationin Garching is centrally located and within close reach of all hotels and is indicated with a large blue "U"-sign. Take the underground train(U-Bahn) line U6, with destination "Garching Forschungszentrum" - this is the last stop on the line. Exit the station at the rear end of the train and follow the sign for MPA and ESO (see map). Here is some more information on the use of public transport. Timetables can be found here.
We suggest that you have lunch at the canteen of the Max-Planck Institute, located about 5 minutes walk from the workshop room. Only cash is accepted. Prices for a main course range from about 4 to 6 Euros.
There are banks and cash-points in Garching. All main credit and debit cards are accepted (with PIN code). Please note that the banks may close during lunch time and have otherwise opening hours grossly different from shops.
The bavarian weather in summer tends to be very unstable. The temperature can vary from 15 to 25 degrees.